First things first — what is artificial general intelligence?
AGI refers to a machine’s ability to leverage human-level intelligence to comprehend, learn and perform actions. In simpler words, AGI is the ability of a machine to understand and navigate the world as any human would.
What transforms AI into AGI?
Although AI has made exponential progress in the past few years, human intelligence continues to remain far more complex. For AI to achieve the status of AGI, it would have to incorporate:
- Sensory Perception: Currently, we are limited to processing individual sensory inputs, such as images or audio clips. However, AGI systems are ideally capable of processing simultaneous inputs to glean information.
- Fine Motor Skills: The dexterity involved in the simplest of actions, such as threading a needle, may not be replicated seamlessly by machines. However, AGI-based humanoid hands or manipulators would be able to seamlessly perform such functions.
- Natural Language Understanding: AI systems that are capable of recording, comprehending and transmitting knowledge acquired from various sources to gain common sense can be close to AGI.
- Problem-Solving Capabilities: AGI systems could run general-purpose simulations for determining possibility, plausibility and probability to take appropriate action.
- Navigation: Augmenting GPS with other technologies could pave the way for AGI-powered navigation.
- Creativity: AI systems will have to learn human qualities such as introspection and self-improvement while discovering creative ways to achieve such results.
- Emotion And Social Engagement: One of the most challenging obstacles dividing AI from AGI would be the emotional and social connection that the system can form with its surroundings.
What can AGI help achieve?
AGI will usher in a new era that fuses machines with human intelligence. This amalgamation will be at par with the technological synthesis of life itself!
Although true AGI may still be some way off, it can offer value in the following ways:
- Monitoring KPIs or similar metrics and recalibrating strategies to align the current state with the desired state.
- Developing a truly intelligent assistant that can perform a gamut of activities that are at par with their human counterparts.
- Building smarter chatbots to mimic natural human conversations, along with capabilities like sentiment analysis.
- Automating a network of continuous predictive analysis to spot trends at an early stage and to make specific and deep recommendations.
- Blending a hybrid and intelligence workforce with AGI at the core of several automated processes.
- Populating information from multiple sources and making decisions or displaying insights that are relevant to the case.
- Tailoring offerings from one location or geography to another.
- Adding value to metadata related to a product, event or transaction.
- Aiding customers at preliminary stages by offering solutions or diagnoses based on simple reasoning.
- Ensuring compliance through accurate inferences, predictions and actions in response to triggers.
As you can see, AGI is an untapped market bustling with potential and is well worth pursuing.
Even though the idea of AGI is extremely lucrative, there is no knowing when we can truly realize this goal. Regardless, it is time to put our inhibitions aside and explore this expanding facet of AI. Given its applicability across various industrial sectors and business verticals, it would be a ripe opportunity to welcome the future today.